Sharkie
Because most of the ideas I've been typing up have been from my head, I decided it was about time I did some research on the actual topic. And what I discovered shocked me. Dramaqueen

So, being a true St. Georgian, I googled "How does yeast make bread rise" and I came across this site:
This site said that "There are several different types of yeast Well it's quite clear that this shook me, considering I hadn't thought about there being several types of yeast. However, this site only discussed one type of yeast, as well as how the yeast only responds to warm water. When the yeast is exposed to the sugars in the dough, it begins to devour them. This makes the yeast gassy, and it emits little bubbles of carbon-dioxide, making the bread rise.

One very important thing the site mentions is "Eventually the yeast will die within a few hours, especially if the dough is allowed to grow cold or exposed to too much air." This gives my variable of how long the dough rests a time limit. I think the time limit will range from 0-10 minutes, just to be on the safe side.

Another site I found that talks about yeast, and its effects on bread was: and it expresses how kneading the dough and adding yeast develop gluten, which gives bread its structure, strength and texture. Another thing to observe in the results.

Therefore, because of the issue of everal different types of yeast, I am thinking of only using one type of yeast. However, if I do not exceed the time limit, I will probably also try this experiment with different kinds of yeast. For now, I think I'll stick with the Saccharomyces cerivisiae, because it is sold in packets as cubes, with cells aiting to be activated by warm water.
0 Responses

Post a Comment